Ughh… I’m sore. I took a week off from working out during spring break to spend time with my kid. It was great because I needed a break from going to the gym all the time. However, it was tough to go back to the gym after a week off. I couldn’t do as many pull ups and I was sore all over. My shoulders and back don’t feel good at all. I have been icing them and that helped. Taking a week off was great, but I probably should have done a few light exercises even when I don’t go to the gym. Anyway, check out what we did for spring break.
Spring Break 2017
Our kid is 6 years old so he still wants to spend time with me. It was great week for us and we had a ton of fun.
- Monday – We went for a walk around downtown Portland and visited the post office, the downtown mall, food carts, a local toy store, Target, and the library. We spent $4 on a huge banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich) and $3 at the GAP for a long sleeve shirt for Jr. Not too bad for a day out.
- Tuesday – We took the car in for an oil change and walked to Home Depot while it was at the shop. I had to get hardware to fix a bi-fold closet at the rental. I also checked out some charcoal grills and fantasized about what I’d buy if we ever move into a house again. After that, we dropped by Uwajimaya to pick up some Asian groceries. I made miso soup, edamame, tuna poke, and rice for dinner. Yum!
- Wednesday – I took Junior to a trampoline park. We’ve never been to one and I was curious. RB40Jr also needed to run around a bit so he can use up some energy. It was rainy that day so not much outdoor options. The trampoline park was pretty neat, but not cheap at $13/hour.
- Thursday – We dropped by GameStop to see if we can pick up a cheap used Xbox 360 game. Unfortunately, I didn’t see what I wanted. Oh well, we shouldn’t play much video game anyway. We also meet Mrs. RB40 for lunch at a nice cafe near her work.
- Friday – It was a finally a beautiful sunny day! We headed out to visit Fort Vancouver. Our summer schedule is already filled up and I don’t think we’ll be able to go camping at a national park this year. I thought Fort Vancouver was just a little site, but it was actually pretty big. The Pearson Air Museum was next to it so we visited that too. We had a great day.
- Saturday – I was planning to bike to see the cherry blossoms, but it sprinkled so we just rode our bike to the marina and checked out the high water level at the river.
- Sunday – We biked to see the cherry blossoms at the Japanese American Historical Plaza. It was a beautiful day and there were a ton of people out. It was a long winter and everyone wanted to get a little vitamin D.
Whew, spring break is a long week for stay-at-home parents everywhere. Kids just have so much energy and we can’t keep up with them. I think most working parents put their kids in spring break camps. That costs anywhere from $100-$200, so I feel we did pretty well.
Back to working out
It was great to get back to my routine after a week off. My kid is back in kindergarten so I could work on my blogs, go to the gym, and do chores at my leisure. Working out was tough, though. I think it might take 2 weeks for me to get back to my pre-spring break level. We’ll see how it goes next week. I’ll push a bit harder and hope that my body can handle it.
Another worrying development is my weight. I know that you gain weight as you work out more because muscle weight more than fat. However, my weight is going up a bit too much. I weighted about 136 lbs at the beginning of the year and now I weight 141 lbs. That’s 5 lbs and I didn’t expect that. Perhaps I’m eating a bit more than previously. That’s why I started a new column to keep track of my weight. Ideally, I’d like to keep it under 140 lbs. More muscle is good, but I need to get rid of the fat too. My body doesn’t feel much leaner than at the beginning of the year.
Q1 is over and I’ve been doing very well with exercising. I need to improve my eating habit and try to keep the weight down, though. Adding a new column in my fitness log should help. Let’s focus on getting lean for the summer in Q2.
How about you? How do you feel after taking a week off from exercising?